When time is short (like now) and fresh ideas fail me (ahem), I resort to lists. They inspire, center and focus me. And let’s be honest, checking things off all nice and neat satisfies me.
This week and lately:
– Sean audits a two week course at African Christian College, just 30 kilometers away on Community Development. Studying, reading, writing papers, and planning presentations usurps his usual time.
– Nicole caught a cold. First in a long time that she took a ‘sick’ day.
– Nicole runs the homestead all solo (well, Thor helps too!) she planted the last round of spinach, potatoes and tomatoes for this fall.
– Nicole and Thor chased too many dogs from the garden. Over and over. We’re scheming ways to keep them out, and plan to patch a few fence holes.
– Sean’s gonna climb with a friend on Saturday to exert some energy.
– Nicole’s taking Glorious, her two kids and an assortment of other children from our neighborhood to a game park. It’s “Family Day”, and kids under 13 get in free. Pony rides. Face painting. Educational games. And a game drive. She can’t wait to share this with the kids. Almost all who have never been to a game park, or seen a live zebra. Although such wildlife used to be known out their front door. She hopes to remember to take photos.
– Sister Winter blew in. Chilly nights have us snuggled under blankets, and cool mornings threaten to keep us in those blankets past the alarm.
– Sunshine warms us up to 70s during the day. The sunflowers still greet all who venture down the driveway.
– Brown moves in. Dust gathers and settles and stirs around. With no rain to tamp the soil, or water the earth, she heads towards winter.
– Nicole tools away at editing our second chapter in the book. If you’d like to be a chapter editor, we’re taking all the help we can get!
– Nicole gears up for her three days working at Genesis Clinic in Joburg next week. She’ll be mentored by other doulas, attend births with midwives, and get to see women birth exactly how they wanted to. Plus it’ll be warm baths and showers at the hotel for four glorious nights!! Hello mini-retreat.
– Thor dug up a small snake. His parents heard him growl and came running (albeit in circles, looking for weapons) to kill it. No one was harmed. And we’re once again, indebted to the faithful canine.
– Thor’s courage amazes us. He takes on cows, heifers, calves, and bulls all the same – with tenacity. He chases large dogs away, continuing to terrorize them down the road, even after they turn and bite him.
– We phoned a few dear friends and family in recent weeks to catch up. Maybe we missed you, but know we think of you often. Message us if you’d like to be in our next round of calls 😉
– We can’t believe it’s June. And winter. And like six months into this year!!
– Having lived in our new place for six months, we’re really settling in. Hitting a stride with our schedules and routines and relationships.
– Sean prepares to teach Thursday night “bible study” at our church. It’s cool to see them dictate to him what and how he must teach them. He’s bravely transitioning into teaching into siSwati. (What a champ!)