My efforts to have fast hands and a slow heart has been a bit more down than up. I’m not surprised. But I’m not finished yet either.
Take this morning for example. I snoozed 20 minutes past the 6:32 wake up call. Sean and I pulled our weary bodies from bed. I immediately started editing pamphlets for our summer camp. We sent some notes, updated some spreadsheets, made some lists, checked things off. At 8:15 I remembered I’d forgotten to eat breakfast. I packed my bags with lunch, dinner, two pairs of shoes, changes of clothes, water and sunscreen. At 8:28 I remembered I STILL hadn’t eaten breakfast. “We gotta go.” At 8:32 I wolfed Raisin Bran down while getting dressed and brushing my teeth.
It’s a wonder Sean said in the car as he rubbed my hand, “Babe, you’re wound a little tightly this morning.”
You noticed? Hah. Yup he noticed. It took a lot of breathing, reminding, forgetting, and reminding to come back to the slow heart as I raced to the horse farm.
The day wasn’t some great victory. The week hasn’t been flawlessly peaceful. Nope. It’s been pretty face-paced with ‘lots’ to do. But you know what? There’ve been a few moments. I’m counting them constantly. Holding them tightly. Celebrating them slowly. Stopping to notice.
- Singing along with the radio on my way to work
- Learning about abscesses, scratching horses’ noses
- a thoroughbred’s head on my shoulder
- a sighing thoroughbred’s head on my shoulder
- sighing myself
- BLUE skies and WHITE clouds
- 7 hours of my thoughts (a bit scary, but nice to sit with them)
- the robin that hopped along
- a fat, roly-poley groundhog running for dear life as I chase him with the weed-wacker
- stopping to LAUGH at the groundhog!
- getting off 45 minutes early and paid for it. Woo hoo!
- taking a shower and eating dinner NOT on the run! ahhhhhhh
- play practice (don’t worry, I’m just subbing for backstage help)
- Catching myself humming “Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow” as I take out the compost.
- sitting in bed and observing as my whirring mind starts to slow
Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow. Praise Him All Creatures Here Below.