If you happen to be like me and enjoy Christmas cookies, eating, relishing good food, sleeping in, and sometimes skipping a work-out, then I hope you don’t love ALL of those things as much as I do. 🙂 This Christmas season, I didn’t stress much about what I ate, how much I ate, or getting a good work-out in. Instead, I’ve really focused on what feels good. I’ve tried this new thing called “Listening to My Body.” When I get 5 sour cream cookies with icing, I’m fully aware that it will make me sluggish sooner or later. And that’s okay. If I want the cookies, I embrace that it may pack on 5 lbs. Fine. I indulge and enjoy. YUUUUUMMM! Mom sure makes some delicious ones!
I also realize that doing things like cardio and yoga and eating a light lunch feel really good to my body. I feel light, almost graceful, and more energized. And THAT I like.
Sooooo I took a challenge. The 21 Day- YogaChallenge to be exact. 21 days. A yoga practice each day. 15 minutes of meditation. One vegetarian meal a day.
What do I love about it?
1) It’s right after the holiday, stuff-your-face, stay-up late, sleep-in, and forget-to-workout season
2) Yoga Journal sends me a DAILY video. Like this one. There’s resources for guided meditations too!
3) There’s a track for newbies and not-so-newbies, so we all practice our own yoga. Check out this article for some helpful beginner poses if you’re new, newer, or newest!
4) I get to check it off a list once I complete a part. For all you fellow lovers of lists, this feature is wonderfully delicious. Using Social Workout.com I can track my progress and post it, so I stay accountable to others doing the challenge. Great for days when motivation is low.
5) It’s helping jump-start my ‘home practice’ this year. Being low on cash and high on time, I’ve been trying to do yoga outside a studio setting, which can be great and challenging to uphold myself to.
Really, it’s an all-around win situation for me. Not to mention, I’m already feeling stronger, more peaceful, and energized. If you need a kick in the pants to kick off this new year, Yoga Up! my friends. Yoga Up!